Tuesday, May 5, 2009

How do you make a scientific name for an animal?

I'm supposed to make up an animal and plant for my biology class and we have to come up with a "scientific name" for it and I don't know how? I've already got common names for both of them and everything else that's required for the project except for the scientific name. Can anyone help me please?

How do you make a scientific name for an animal?
The "scientific name" is also called "binomial nomenclature" - check the wikipedia entry for more information.





The names are usually Latin, so you could just translate the names into Latin:


"polar bird" - Aves borealis (for the north pole)


"sea bell" - Campana maris





Alternatively, name it after its "discoverer" (yourself):


"Aves colorgardii"





Or something more descriptive, from the details of the animal. So if the polar bird is white, it might be "Aves albus"





One thing to remember in either case is that the *first* term (its genus) should be capitalised, while the second (its species) is not (so "Homo sapiens", "Escherichia coli", etc.)


Also - I am not a Latin Scholar, and Latin has different word structure for different genders, and I don't know if "bell" or "bird" are masculine, femnine, or neuter.
Reply:Polar bird might be. Aves maritimus

boxing

No comments:

Post a Comment